Thursday 2 January 2020

No-one is beyond forgiveness and redemption

Image of Rembrandt's painting "The Return of the Prodigal Son"


The other day I read Revelation 21, and as I did I was struck by this description of the foundation of the new city of Jerusalem: "The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb" (Revelation 21:14). Whether one believes this passage describes a literal city or a symbolic one is not the point. What struck me was the idea that “the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb” have been written on the foundation of a place where [God has wiped] every tear from [every eye, and] there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away” (Revelation 21:3-4). As I thought about this place where suffering has ended, I began to realise that one of the twelve apostles is Judas; the one who betrayed him. What an amazing thought, that no-one is beyond God’s reach in terms of forgiveness and redemption.

Now we might suggest that Judas’ name was not the one included here but that it is Matthias, the one appointed to replace him (Acts 1:26). However, I believe the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb refer to the original twelve chosen by Jesus (Matthew 10:2-4). I say this because to suggest otherwise means he made a mistake in choosing Judas, but this is looking at things from a human perspective. I think it’s too easy to focus on Judas’ poor behaviour and consider this as the reason why we should not include him as one who has his name written on the foundation of the new Jerusalem. This is the way I find most people treat those who have made mistakes in life. Our go-to behaviour is to judge and reject; often not giving people a second chance. When I think of my life and the many poor decisions I have made, I find it amazing to think that my life can be used to bring about good things in this world. I keep wanting to keep denying this, but I’m told it actually can (Matthew 5:16). Therefore, just as I have to accept that my life can be useful despite my many failings, I find myself unable to reject and replace Judas. The reality is that no-one deserves to have their name written on the foundations of a new heavenly city, for none of us is perfect. Also, to reject Judas as unworthy puts us in a place where we are judging the decisions of Jesus and questioning God’s ability to restore all things.

I want to stop being so judgmental and to give myself and others a second chance; to believe that no-one, even me, is beyond hope and redemption. I screw up, others screw up, but the hope God gives is that despite the many screw-ups our life can be restored in such a way that we can become part of something new and amazing taking place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment